I officially joined the Pangea196 work/travel program and, at the beginning of 2018, I am heading to South America for four months. I’ve announced it to my family and friends. “WHY?” is the question I am asked most often. The simplest answer is “Why not? If you have a job that you can do from ANYWHERE, why sit at home?”
And then, I’m asked… “But, really, why would you want to live with people you’ve never met, in unfamiliar places, surrounded by people who speak another language?” Right now, I can think of five good reasons.
Five reasons why
- I get to spend a month in each of four interesting, exciting cities in four different countries. This is the opposite of the drive-by, port visit you get on a cruise ship. It gives you a chance to live like the locals and experience their culture.
- I get four months of Spanish-language immersion. The best way to learn a language is to live it, to see it, hear it, and speak it everyday. It’s a sink or swim scenario.
- I get to hang out with a group of similar people. Regardless of age, gender, or nationality, all the trip participants have one thing in common — an appetite for adventure. I bet they are all extroverts like me.
- I shake up my life and challenge myself on many fronts. Whether this turns out to be the best or worst idea I ever had, I am certain to learn something about myself. As they say, “You’re never too old…”
- Plus, I’ll get great Instagram photos! https://www.instagram.com/ml_mazie/
But, before I leave in January for point south, I have two trips planned: Yellowstone National Park in August and a three-city Euro trip with my BF (Dubrovnik, Santorini, and Naples). Pack, unpack, wash, rinse, repeat!! I’m ready.
[Edited: You can follow the NEXT ARTCLE links to read about the intervening trips or skip to my first South American blog: Buenos Aires: First Impressions.]